Monday, May 2, 2011

Weedin', weedin', weedin'...

So, I was weeding today and thinking, "Gosh, I hate weeding. Always have, always will." Then as I kept thinking about this while sifting through the forest of weeds, I realized that weeding is one of those easily metaphorical subjects.

Especially in that weeding can be related to how we let bad habits grow. I don't really want to admit that I spend too much time on Facebook or that I'm always late everywhere I go. Just like I let those habits slide, I don't have a problem with letting the weeds thrive.

But then I have this great parental called a mother. She's the one who assigns me to exterminate the weeds and gets me to take action.

We also have a heavenly parent who wants us to exterminate our bad habits. His words of advice come to us through scriptures, answers to prayers and heeding what the Holy Ghost tells us. We can ignore these words, but we won't get better that way or get a fresh garden, ready to harvest.

Maybe another vein of the metaphor would be marriage being that finally achieved smooth and clean patch of dirt. Once you do your best to get yourself prepared and ready, making yourself your best you, you'll finally find someone else who has done the same.

But the weeding never ends. Unless you have Preen, which is the greatest weed killer I've ever seen. But you still have work to do. Preen spreading, weed pulling and flower watering. But it's a progressive kind of work.

Then you and your spouse are able to combine what you've learned to create a family that will someday grow high to be a beautiful garden.

The world is so full of symbolism that can be related to spiritual topics. If you just think about it, we're surrounded by it.

Interesting how I was weeding today and this is what I got out of it.

Maybe I'll weed more often.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

THAT is called effective weeding.

Alex said...

Thank ya. It's probably the best way to make weeding effective. Otherwise it's not much fun.