Sunday, May 29, 2011

No more fast food, please

So, I've tried to eat less meat lately. It's been a combination of things I've read and conversations I've had that made me realize that wow, I eat a lot of meat.

Therefore, this made me go to Taco Bell for lunch yesterday. Yeah, because that makes sense and all. I know what you're thinking but it really does make sense. Taco Bell has these potato tacos that are delicious, so I was going for a couple of those on my lunch break at work. Once I got my food through the drive thru and parked to eat, I shuffled through my food and saw no potato tacos. I grumbled to myself but sucked it up and ate a meaty soft shell taco to appease my ravenous tummy. But after one taco I thought, No. I'm actually kind of ticked. I want my stinkin' potato tacos.


So I drove back through and explained my situation to the guy at the window. He asked the cook and came back claiming she swore she made potato tacos and he sent them out. Ugh, what was wrong with these people?? He re-conferred with her, then asked me to go through my food again. Fine, I said.

I pulled out the meaty taco, and oh look, another meaty taco. There's the fiesta potatoes and other chicken taco for my coworker and then.... two potato tacos.

Feeling ridiculous, I told him I must have been crazy and quickly drove off. Deciding not to let it get to me, I ate my food in my car but when I finished, I was still hungry (I was seriously ravenous that day). I had to give up one of my menu items because I'd eaten one of my coworker's tacos.

So... I went to Wendy's for chicken nuggets and a Frosty. Where the drive-thru lady proceeded to short change me and not believe me when this time, I knew I was right. I did it for her sake because I know how it is when your change is off in your cash drawer. She got a manager to re-open her drawer and wordlessly gave me my nickel. Then she pretended I didn't exist so I drove away.

Oh my heavens to Betsy. I thought getting fast food was supposed to be easy.

All in all, I ate that meaty taco and some chicken nuggets and then moved on with my life. Really though, being conscious of what you eat is tricky. It's hard to eat out (cheaply) and find good food. Especially when you are me and can't recognize potatoes and really just want your nickel back from that drive-thru lady.

Sigh, oh well. I'll maybe improve on what I eat. No more drive thrus though.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I'm proud of you for eating less me!

Meg said...

haha, that was supposed to be *meat