Tuesday, May 17, 2011

It's a bird, it's a plane... Nope, it's something unpredictable.

"Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised."
-Dan in Real Life

Have you ever realized that usually nothing goes as expected? Not that the world is insanely chaotic at all times, but that things just aren't always predictable. The world isn't ours to mold and form like soft putty; instead, certain things occur at their own pace that sometimes we never saw coming.

I like life because it's that way. It's exciting to never know how something will turn out or why certain things happen to us. People flit in and out of our lives for different reasons at different times and sometimes we understand the person's significance, other times we never find out their importance.

It's interesting, but the only thing I know is that nothing ever goes as expected for me. Whether my night out takes a twist, I meet someone I didn't know existed or I have a unique epiphany about life, there's always something in my day that I didn't see coming. It's a beautiful world full of unexpectedness that turns into your life's path.

So, Dan's right, we probably should learn at an early age to learn to be surprised. Because no matter what we do, things will always surprise us and immerse us in new experiences.

However, unexpectedness isn't always a bad thing. In fact, it's basically always a good thing as long as you have a good attitude about it. I wouldn't want to be bored having everything be the same at all times anyway.

Random, spontanteous and unpredictable, those are words to embrace. Slap on your best surprised face and things will turn out alright. Trust Dan; he lives in real life.

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Of course Dan is right. Steve Carell is always right.

Bethany said...

Cora. Fancy meeting you here.