Friday, September 23, 2011

Another round of Old Maid?

Should people trying to set me up make me feel old?

Like, hey, you should be married by now. Oh, I have a friend/nephew/coworker/whatever relation you so please (the possibilities are endless) that I want to set you up with.

Hmmm. Yep, I definitely feel old. Two set-ups in one day kind of old.

Anyway, I guess set-ups aren't awful. You learn a lot and you get exposed to new people you never before knew existed. And sometimes they work. Right?

In one of my classes we've been reading Pride and Prejudice. Charlotte Lucas, Elizabeth Bennet's 27-year-old best friend, decides that since 28 is considered "old maid," that she'd better hop on that marriage bandwagon. So she marries Mr. Collins, creeper of their century.



Charlotte Lucas is essentially the antithesis of me. I hate bandwagons, creepers or stereotypes about women needing men to be happy.

Yeah, I do want to get married. Someday. Somerightday is really the best word for it. Because I guess this could happen in five years, ten years and a day or in two weeks. Whenever that somerightday will be, I guess I'll just have to figure out how to be ready. The rightness is the most important part.

Whatevs. I'm fine. I'm not old, even if people are trying to make me feel that way. I'm gonna rock my life in my own way, boyless or heycuteboybymyside. I've got this.

No comments: