Looking pristine, preened and perfect isn't always the best option. I think some things are just better used. Things occasionally just look better messy, disheveled, rusty or out of place.
Here's a list of things I think are better that way.
- Hair-- Sometimes someone's messy braid or bun can look so poetically done up, like it was meant to be that way all along. Stray hairs have the potential to look so perfectly in place. Guys can also pull off that mussed hair look all too well sometimes.
- Cars-- I wouldn't be able to stand driving a brand spanking new car around. What if some idiot ran in to me right off the lot? I like having room for error. Besides, those couple of poles I've hit, they totally had it coming. And don't really old cars with spunk just make you smile?
- Shoes-- I'm not necessarily advocating buying old, smelly shoes, but old shoes tend to carry more character than new shoes. Think of a beat-up pair of Chucks or your favorite pair of flip flops that haven't been clean in ages. They're just better and more comfortable than new ones.
- Scriptures-- I love marked-up scriptures. Every time I read mine, I love going over what I've highlighted during other moments of inspiration. New scriptures are pretty, but worn scriptures hold so much more.
- Books-- Don't get me wrong, I looove B&N and the smell of new pages. It's intoxicating. But I also find solace in used books. Similar to scriptures, there's something great to show about someone who has cared enough to thumb through those pages so many times.
- Houses-- Some old houses are sooo cool. They have different floor plans than most newer houses and they always have cool little additions like a funky porch, a closet under the stairwell, wide and low doorways or window seats. (Hey, my blog is a fan of those).
Concerning people, we're better with experience. The flaws we have and the mistakes that we make form us into specific individuals. Experience and wear through life makes us who we are. Although we're all striving for perfection in one way or another, it's the journey of making us that way as we're finding out who we are that forms us into the specialized, interesting beings that we are.
No comments:
Post a Comment