The phrase "baby steps" has always seemed kind of silly to me.
Babies really do take little steps, you know. Tiny, wobbly steps that don't usually get them farther than across the room. But in reality, this concept makes so much sense to my life right now.
School is taking forevs and eeeevs. I'm content about this, most of the time, because I enjoy school. But seriously, it takes a lot to get a stinkin' education. It truly goes one step at a time. One session of class here, one poem to read for class there, one tuition payment over here, a meander through campus over there. Gaining an education is one thing that has to be paced. I'm glad school isn't just taking me a brief time. I want to savor the experience to make sure I fill my head with all sorts of good knowledge while I'm there.
My love life? Yeah, it's a work in progress, alright. Dating is tricky business. While I date though, I learn a lot about what I'm looking for and what I ultimately want. Even though I'm definitely not like characters on Enchanted who claim they'll "be married in the morning!" I know I'm at least somewhat on my way. Being married in the temple is high on my life's to-do list. Making it a priority is important, so that's a step in the right direction. Now for that whole finding (and keeping) a boy thing... Surely it'll all work itself out someday.
As far as goals in my life go, those are ALL about baby steps. I have learned that you simply cannot make a huge New Year's Resolutions list every time you want to better yourself. Everything cannot be accomplished in a day, week, month, or even a year. You have to pace yourself. I know to work on a couple of goals at a time and really work to make them stick. It's never an easy task for me and, of course, there's always room for improvement. But I'm happy I'm at least trying. Even if I don't accomplish all the goals on my lists, at least I'm making lists and trying.
So, baby steps is the way I go. Really, there is no other way. Without moderation and balance of your time in all aspects of your life, you can't get too far. So I don't make too much fun of baby steps anymore. They're helpful to my growth. Those steps all add up to make something great.
I'm trying. That's important. Even if the steps are wobbly and unsure, you can be reassured that things will be alright in the end. It'll all be okay in the end.
No comments:
Post a Comment