Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Career goals

Finding the right career for you can be a rough road. Yet some people have always just known what they should do with their lives.

I thought I should be a teacher. I thought that was where I would go indefinitely. However, student teaching ended up changing my mind. I thought it was too hard, the hours were too long, the kids were annoying, the curriculum was too exclusive, teacher politics were the worst and students didn't care that I spent hours grading their papers.

So then I looked to my past to remember what else I liked and came up with editing. I applied for a copy editor job and got it. And yeah, I enjoy it. It's one of my passions.

So much to read about, so much to do and see! 

People have said to me, "Oh, do you feel like you have found your calling now?" about my editing job. I'm not sure why people think I should have discovered a life calling at only 23 years old. I know plenty of people who get to 45 and find something entirely new that consumes their life and changes everything. I have time.

Sometimes, though, I miss the idea of teaching. Maybe it would be different if I had my own classroom, if I could do things my own way. Maybe it would be really amazing and rewarding.

I'm not really sure. I might try out teaching again. I still have my license in the meantime, and a lifetime to figure out my passions.

Life is just fascinating how it slowly warps into what you never thought it would be. I'm happy where I am but I know that I'm not stuck. I can try new things. That makes me feel comforted to know that, because I don't want to be locked into something for forever.

Past generations make it seem like you get one degree and one job and you stick with it forever.

But what if you like to teach and edit and sew and be crafty and work with small kids and work with teenagers and speak Spanish and make art and write stories and do yoga and study gender roles and and lead people and volunteer and travel? I think I just need my whole lifetime to explore those passions.

Well, those are my thoughts. I haven't blogged in a while but I miss it.

Peace out.

No comments: