Saturday, July 21, 2012

Honestly

Honesty is so strange.


If you ask me something, odds are, I'll tell you what I really, truly think.

But there are degrees of honesty, aren't there?


For example:

"How are you today?"

"Fine, and you?"



Yeah, people aren't usually just fine and dandy all of the time. Pretty much never, in fact. Life's too much of a roller coaster for that. But sometimes where you are isn't really the place for the full-blown honesty. At work, I don't usually tell customers that my head is in another world off thinking about how sadness accumulates in my heart, or that someone just sent me a kind text message that made me smile. That would be strange if I shared with random strangers.

Sometimes you can tell the truth but you leave a lot out of it. You can tell the basics but not the details. Sometimes those details are pretty important, but you don't feel like being that intimate with people, so you stick to the main story. It feels easier that way.

Sometimes sharing those important details draws you nearer to people though. It's a Catch 22 as to whether you should share or not. Vulnerability is scary. But feeling kinship and realizing you aren't the only person who feels this way creates good feelings too.

This whole thing reminds me of this post from a while ago that I wrote. I was a little overzealous back then. I still stand by what I wrote though. I had a lot more verve than I seem to possess these days. I need some Verve Vitamins or something.

Anyway, that is all. Blabber crazy is me.

Luego.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I think about this kind of stuff way too much. I often wonder what the world would be like if we were all honest all the time, if that was the norm. I can't decide if it would be a better place or not.

Alex said...

I think it's better to think about how it could be than to leave that as something never to be explored in your mind, even if it never will happen.