I'm sure you're all salivating to know what I've been eating. And if you think you wouldn't like Spanish food, well, you probably should be salivating. Because it's amazing.
I honestly haven't eaten anything I've disliked. I also honestly can't name everything I've eaten either. This is because most of the time I have food set in front of me, I look it over, then tentatively put a small tenedor(fork)-full in my mouth to taste and then, finally, I give in and scarf it all in, because the food hasn't disappointed me yet.
They eat a lot of meat, eggs and potatoes. Which I happen to love.
Every day, Angeles packs me a bocadillo (sandwich) and fruit to eat between classes. This is just the brunch of the day. Lunch is the biggest meal, which takes place around 2 p.m. each day. Bocadillo-wise, so far a few I've had are jamon york, turkey with margarine (this one is really good, actually) and a tortilla sandwich.
They have the Spanish tortilla, which is nothing like the white, flat tortillas you're thinking of. This one is comprised of eggs and potatoes and cooked in a pie tin. It's so good. You can eat it alone or on a sandwich.
Their salads are great too. They use vinegar and oil dressing and put eggs in them a lot. I think fish is common too, but Angeles knows I don't like fish. She made me fish once, and it really wasn't too bad. We also ate fried calamari at our banquet dinner the first night here. I went back for a few more pieces, because surprisingly, I didn't get repulsed when I put it in my mouth. I think because it was fried, it made it easier to eat. But really, seafood is just not my thing. Sorry, everyone who thought I would change as I got older. My tolerance has definitely improved since I've been here, but still. I wouldn't choose fish over say, chicken. Or a hamburger.
She's made me a hamburger patty a few times too. She certainly knows the way to an American's heart. She has ketchup and mustard also. : ] No bun though. The thought definitely counts anyway.
They do eat some things we have at home, like yogurt, corn flakes and toast. And ham and cheese sandwiches. However, they use Gouda cheese here, which makes the sandwiches so much more profoundly delicious.
Angeles, my host mom, and I have had a few conversations about food. One of them was when Loreto was here, and she asked me if I knew about blue cheese (queso azul). I said (in Spanish, of course), "You guy have blue cheese here?!" Then laughed and said no. It took a week until one day it just clicked. Oh! That blue cheese, the kind I use to dress my salad all the time. I came home and told her how I realized what it was and that yes, I do like it.
Then Whitney came over last Sunday and we pondered about if they had peanut butter (crema de cacahuete) here. We decided to ask. Angeles said she thought she might have seen it at the Supermercadona, but they for sure had chocolate creme (crema de cacao). She said she would check at the store the next day.
Anyway, this picture pretty much sums up the amazingness of Angeles. And it also says that somehow, in some convoluted way, I can communicate in Spanish.
My host family rocks. : ] I've put a decent dent in all of these by now. They're so sweet. : ]
Anyway, I'll have to dedicate a post just to desserts. Food is amazing. Spanish cuisine, especially.
If I've made you hungry from reading this, my work here is done.
1 comment:
That crema de cacahuetes was the best thing that happened to me all week :) yuuuuum!
Post a Comment