Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Le mejor semana / The best week so far : ]

13 junio 2012


Hey, all. I'm mostly all better by now, so that's good, especially since I'm heading to Southern Spain in four hours. : ] My group is heading down on a (brace yourself) 10-12 hour bus ride to see Granada, Sevilla y Córdoba. It'll be a whirlwind of fun, which will last until Sunday when we'll endure the long bus ride for another round.

I don't think I'm bringing my laptop with me, so I won't be in touch with anyone for the next week or so. Don't be alarmed, I'll be fine. I'll watch my purse and use the buddy system. : ]

So, recap, eh?

It's inevitable. EVERYwhere I go.
I went to see Snow White, or Blancanieves. It was so much fun. To go to the movie we had to break away from our study group. Best decision I made that day. Who studies anyway? I've come to realize how much I loathe studying. Learning I love, but studying... Boof. (They use that sound effect a lot here.)




Anyway, the movie was wonderful and I could understand it well because it was a drama so they talked slowly to enunciate every, single word. Plus, the Spanish voice for Kristen Stewart was probably a lot feistier.

We also tripped to the local aquarium yesterday. Now, it's just an aquarium, right? That's what I was thinking, but I was in love there. I won't make you look at every single fish or crab that I snapped a photo of, but this video explains what happens when you have a Toca Toca (Touch, touch) area.



Now, best part of my trip so far would probably be last night. It was Natalia's birthday, one of the daughter's of my host parents. She turned 43 and that brought all of the family over to our house to celebrate together. : ] Loreto is Natalia's daughter, my favorite Spaniard buddy over here. She really is great. I spent the night surrounded by 8 different simultaneous conversations that would all sporadically pull me in. I couldn't keep up because when they get going with their bromas (jokes) and stories, it's super hard to keep up.

They all kept getting me to try different foods that they were eating for the party. There was this bowl of shrimp sitting there. They had big, beady, black eyes and long, thin antennae. I told them I'd try everything except for that. Everything was fine, not all was something I'd pick back up again, but I didn't dislike anything too much. They had a lot of wine, which we all smelled. I didn't pretend to know any differences between any of the smells. I kept staring at that bowl of shrimp beside me. Their daughter, Marián was plowing away at the stash. I had this build up in my chest and finally I said all dramatically, "Voy a probarlo," which means, "I'm going to try it."

They got all excited and all turned to watch me. My fingernails are short so it takes me a full minute just to pull of the little clear scales on its back. Loreto had to assist me. Then I asked for a refill on my water glass before I take the plunge. Marián, her spouse and Loreto all grab a paper towel that is ready for me to spit my bite-full into it.

They're all staring and then I throw the whole thing into my mouth.

I chewed it around and they all gestured with their paper towels when I didn't immediately grin with a shrimp-happy glow. But I declined and chewed and chewed. Then I swallowed and said, in Spanish, of course, "It wasn't bad but... it wasn't really good either. The after taste is the worst part."

They were all happy I tried it and we all went back to chatting (for me, listening in the best I could). Then I asked them for pictures of us. So glad I did, because these pictures are so priceless now.


Me and Loreto. She's so cool; one of a kind. : ] There's nothing more universal than peace. This is my room behind us.

All of the great people I have met from this family. The two on the ends are Tomás and Angeles, my host parents. Their daughters are sitting next to them, Marián next to Tomás and Natalia, birthday woman, next to Angeles. Loreto is Natalia's daughter and Mori, the guy above her is her boyfriend. The guy next to Mori is Marián's spouse and the one by the window is Natalia's. They have one more daughter but she lives far away. They're such a great family. : ]

And here's me with everyone. This was a picture she took when we all stopped being ready but it looks really true to character. Natalia's spouse has the greatest expression here. He actually speaks some English. He talked to me a little bit and then as the night went on he would sporadically say, "Nice people, eh?" every time they all got pretty loud and crazy. : ]


Well, so long, everyone. I hope you've enjoyed my adventures thus far. I'll take lots of pictures in Southern Spain. I'll post when I get home! Hasta luego.

Mucho amor. : ]

2 comments:

Lori McManus said...

I love reading your blog. I actually laugh out loud! The shrimp story is priceless! Enjoy Southern Spain and I can't wait to read all about it! Miss you!

Kiyna Christensen said...

Bahahaha! I can picture your dramatic announcement to try the shrimp. (: so funny! Can't wait for you to get back but I am so happy they are such wonderful people! Love you!!