I generally notice what people are wearing. Pretty much always. Not because I'm some label snob or anything, but it fascinates me what people decide to adorn themselves with each day. Some people don't put that much thought into it, yet there's always meaning behind those cloth decisions. Whether you look polished and accessorized or I-just-threw-this-on-as-I-walked-out-the-door, how you want the world to perceive you, that's how you dress.
Today, a professor of mine pointed out that our guest speaker, a grad student, had shoes that exactly matched his shirt.
Don't worry, the shade of my shoes matched my shirt even better, plus it complemented the flower in my hair.
He didn't plan his (so he says); I totally did. Weird. But weird me or weird him? I know I have a weird matching colors obsession but I feel like we should all be more conscious of what we're wearing. That kid is probably full of it. But he writes interesing musicals, so I'll let him off this time.
Anyway, it's funny how if you decide you like something that isn't your usual "style," you hesitate to buy it. Usually you don't.
But why not? Embrace something new. Your style can be multifaceted. And then the lines of style will become even more blurred and maybe then clothing will seem like art to more people.
They should make a clothing-as-art class. Not like fashion design though. But if we had a class on it, surely that would take away the diversity of people's "styles."
Those makeover shows that make "drab" into "fab," they kind of generate robots. It's creepy, but if you watch it enough, you start to hate the fact that the stylists give everyone the same type of style and seemingly try to make them into the same type of person.
I'm just not really a fan.
Plus, when they throw away the really cute, funky boots of the "drab," I want to strangle them, or at least find the garbage can they use.
But individuality, people. That's what we need more of.
So don't mock my matchy matchy tendencies with my shirt, shoes and flower. 'Cause nobody else does things exactly how I do.
At least noticingly, anyway.
1 comment:
rock
Post a Comment