Friday, March 1, 2013

Hey, blog

Yeah, it's been a while.

School is a a bit of a doozy this semester. Theses suck, p.s. Theses is the plural of thesis, p.p.s. I would know after putting mine off for so long. If you have any concentration or anti-procrastination techniques I should know about, please send them my way. Pour buckets of them on me. I wouldn't mind at all.

Anyway, let's see. My thesis. I'm doing it on journaling in the classroom. Also, I've been thinking I might teach middle school English classes. I'm pretty excited about the prospects. I'd get to teach more grammar, and that makes me laugh maniacally inside and out. I think this means I've chosen the right profession.

Anyway, here's a list to tell you things I've been up to lately.


  • Watching the best show in the world: Gilmore Girls. When your best friend hasn't seen the series and she's going to a faraway land of a Texas mission, she won't have access to the colloquialisms of Lorelai Gilmore. I took it upon myself to give her the best gift a friend can give: Gilmorisms. 
  • Writing/procrastinating my thesis- It's basically a demon in paper form. Really in a nebulous form since it isn't all the way onto paper just yet. I'm not excited about doing the whole thing, but I guess I'm really stoked to be finished. : ]
  • Starting my assistant managing editing job- It's been interesting. The news world is a crazy place to live in, but I like it there. Terms like breaking stories, bylines, jump words, refers and kerning are a part of my general vocab now. I also found out that I'm basically qualified to teach a high school journalism class someday too. Legit.
  • This is how I want my hair. Potench, right?
  • Working my way toward a hair cut. I really just want to slice it all off and watch it fall in slow motion to the tile floor while I fist pump in triumph. Long hair can be such a drag when people are constantly accidentally leaning on it or when you can't wear it in luscious, flowing locks because it takes forever to style. I will miss being able to do awesome braids. Whatever. It'll grow back.
  • Suffering from Senioritis- I've actually been hanging on pretty well so far at getting things done and being motivated this semester. This doesn't stop me from knowing that there are exactly 40 school days left until I graduate. 
  • Watching Alfred Hitchcock movies- I'm taking a Hitchcock class, so I've been exposed to a ton of his films. Hitchcock is meticulous and fascinating, so it's been a class that I've really enjoyed. So far my favorite movie has been Psycho. You just can't beat it as a classic. Plus, A&E is coming out with "Bates Hotel," a show about how Norman became his psychotic self. These are things I take pleasure in, observing and analyzing psychopaths.
  • Trying to have fun- I guess I could do more of this, seeing as YOLO and all. Still, I've been able to just let being with great people be enough. We don't have to be traveling the world or participating in death-defying stunts to have a good time. Sometimes all it takes it sitting around talking about everything and nothing, trying out Pinterest homemade beach waves, buying a ton of books at the DI or enjoying a perfect, snowy evening downtown. 

Anyway, I'm trying to keep it real. And when I say that when I'm a teacher, I will get laughed at by my students for using that phrase. That's okay. That's how I'm rollin'. 

1 comment:

Jenna said...

I think we would be friends if we met in real life.

Also. I completely get the "procrastinating-the-senior-thesis" thing. I wrote mine in a little over a week. I don't recommend it.