Saturday, October 20, 2012

Holding the moment

I have a confession...

Paper Thursdays slipped off my radar... for three weeks. Here's the thing though. I wrote a blog for my college newspaper. This is it. I wrote it on a Thursday too. : ]

Plus, I was on vacation for six days. I will tell you this: My niece is the greatest travel companion. Her little hand always holding mine, her frequent fits of the giggles and her earnest desire to be a good little person makes me so happy. She's my little best friend.

Fall Break has been a lovely little retreat, although I'm happy to be back home. School is busy, but what else did I expect when I signed my life away to a university?

Life has been long this week. However, I'm going to do what feels like releasing paper lanterns into the world: share my writing.

Here's a poem that lets my heart speak about what it's been feeling lately. : ]


Holding the moment

How is the clock still ticking, your heart still beating?
Time feels still, yet a reminder each hour: ting, ting, ting.

All I see are your eyes, bright blue and ready
to continually discover any new facets of me.

I've built a fortress, chock-full of my life's messes,
but I find that in your arms I finally feel rest.

There's something strong about the way you care;
it helps me focus and not fall away by too much wear.

Friend and eye-kissing companions before these moments,
our intentions bonded and have held on tightly ever since.

After our smiles involuntarily share greetings,
it's now time to split our two hearts beating.

As we see that it is time to gradually pull away,
it will be okay, because tomorrow is always our day.