Sunday, September 30, 2012

Ode to traveling

There is this country called Spain. It has a special residence in my heart...

Everything is incredible there. Partly because, well, it wasn't here. Partly because, well, it's Spain.

It's funny how you can go somewhere for six weeks, and suddenly, during the Olympics you're watching water polo and you can't decide if you want the United States or Spain to win. Inside of you, you're rooting for the red and yellow flag.

I've had many friends serve missions and grow attached to those places, languages, customs and people. It's an amazing thing, to travel and to see the world and to love it. It's something you can't explain until you go out and experience it.

When I picture myself all grown, settled and with a lovely teaching career, I generally picture myself where I've grown up. Everyone that I love is here. But I wouldn't mind some more adventures out in the world before then. A visit back to Gijón is definitely on that list of mine.

I've been to so many amazing places. I wouldn't trade any of those memories for anything. The saying is true though, it's not where you are, it's who you're with.

I got to go on most of those exciting adventures with my wonderful mother, and those memories will always be precious to me. They're part of the reason I want my kids to travel and explore the world. It's amazing out there, and it's even better if you explore it with those you love.

Here's to culturing ourselves. I'll show you a few of my favorite memories...


My mom and me in tropical Hawaii on the Road to Hana in Maui. It was spectacular.

Universal Studios trip with some of the girls in the family. This photo idea was definitely my mom's.



Welcome to Cheeseville, but this is my home. It's also a good place to be.

London.


Germany. I was super excited to be at those castles,
Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein.

Just a hike through the Swiss Alps. Normal day. (Best day ever). : ]

My beautiful mother in my favorite Italian city, Venice.

Me and my grandma rockin' it in Paris near the Eiffel Tower.


My favorite Spanish city, Gijón.

Me by a Dalí creation. I could live in the Reina Sofía Museum.

2 comments:

Kiyna said...

So beautiful. I love the picture with you and your mom being eaten by the shark. (: love it all.

Bethany said...

I love this. (: