Thursday, September 6, 2012

Angels

Why is approval something so hard to earn?

This week, I watched my student teacher show us her work for the class that must have taken her hours to finish, only to witness the teacher barely glance at the work my student teacher had put into the project. You can tell that this student teacher is striving for the best reaction possible and that the teacher is apathetic and unimpressed. But is this going to make the student work harder to dazzle the teacher or eventually will she just give up?

Not that we should commend every, tiny triumph. But we shouldn't ignore people. We should let them in, and know that that's okay.

We should let people know that we want them in our lives. It doesn't have to be a contest of who can care the least. We're all too important for that sort of thinking.

We really are.

I'm not the poster child for letting people in. Usually it's easier to just answer when asked but go no further than that. But guess what. I love people. Just in general, yes, all the people I come across that are new, interesting and have something to say. But I also particularly love the people who star in my life as family, friends, support systems and strong shoulders. We all need these people, and we shouldn't be ashamed of that fact.

I think I might be straying from my original topic a little bit, but I'm just too much of an advocate for loving every individual and recognizing the ones who are so important to us, so it's hard not to. As a wise pioneer trek pa of mine once said, quoting High School Musical, "We're all in this together."

What would we do if we weren't all here? I think we would be very unhappy and always searching for something that isn't there. What we need is each other. The angels surrounding us each day.

It's good to be angels to each other, and to lean on other angels. That's why we're here together.

So, this is a shout out to those people who care enough to be there for me. Thank you for everything and all of the times you've stepped in to help and not looked at me like I was crazy when I was honest with you. I'm here for you too, and you can count on that. There's a reason we all know each other and come across each other in this life.

It's going to be okay, because we're here together.



2 comments:

Bethany said...

(: You're the coolest of the cool, lad. Love you.

Mom of 12 said...

I agree! And I think you are awesome.
Sandy